Thursday, January 13, 2011

Stuff


Let’s see, how does Mike do this? Oh, right… a musical reference:

Ain’t got no home
Ain’t got no shoes
Ain’t got no money
Ain’t got no class

Candles, decor from World Market, little wooden boxes, three different piggy banks (two of which are Mickey Mouse, one is an actual pig), gadgets, CDs I’ll never listen to again, books we’ll never get to, ugly throw pillows, elephant statues, kitchen appliances (one for every job you can think of), miniature bowls, pint glasses, and all kinds of furniture.

Why do we need all this shit?!

We probably don’t need any of it, and we’re about to find out for certain.

When we first considered renting the basement from Adam and Josh, it was simple. Live in their house for a year – get out of debt - save money - buy our own house. It’s simple. We’ll put everything we don’t need into storage for one year, and take the necessities with us.

So, what are the necessities? That was harder to determine than we expected. We LOVE our couch, it’s our favorite thing. But it’s not a necessity. My parents are going to use our couch for the year. Can we get a moment of silence for our amazing couch?

(…)

What else? We pictured ourselves in our new living space:

Bathroom: Easy.
Kitchenette: Challenging, but possible.
Living room: Adam and Josh have it covered.
Bedroom: BIG challenge. Everything we think we’ll want access to in the next year needs to fit into our bedroom somehow.
Our kitties: No question! They, like us, will adjust to the new living situation.

We’re in the process of boxing everything up.  It’s scarier than we thought it would be. But why do we have this anxiety to be separated from all this STUFF? This stuff doesn’t make our house a home. We do. We’re still going to have our own space, privacy, our bed, our kitties, each other. God, that’s cheesy.

Even though I’m anxious, I’m excited to put everything in storage. Will we even want most of it back in a year? Or will it be a great relief to reunite with it? I’m hoping for something in between. 

I got life, mother
I got laughs, sister
I got freedom, brother
I got good times, man

3 comments:

  1. I think this is great. What a fabulous idea. Put away all the extra stuff you don't need to live underground for a year. I want to do this too. Do you have room for a third person? I can sleep at the foot of your bed like a kitten. Oh wait, there's already going to be a cat there, right? Well, forget it. Just forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mr. Gibson. But the cats don't really sleep at the foot of the bed -- They perch on my end table like furry gargoyles, sweeping my eyeglasses, cell phone, etc to the floor, like an angry guy in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Gibson is my dad. Please. Call me Dr. Gibson.

    ReplyDelete