Sunday, December 11, 2011

Slow Approach to the Soft Ball Line


Caramel jargon. Temperature gradient. Mercury assist. Chemistry = candy. Turns out the Oompa-Loompas were the Linus Paulings of the Chocolate Factory. Me? I just eats 'em. Candies, that is. Caramels and I have a precarious relationship. I want to steal their flavor and they want to steal my fillings, which would not be a difficult feat for the caramels (I once broke  tooth on a Snickerdoodle).

This is Erin's first attempt at candy-making. She's got cookies down to a t (or tea biscuit). When the melting sugar hits the "soft ball" temperature, the caramels are ready to cool. You spoon a sample out of the pot and drop it into a bowl of cold water. Then you fish it out with a finger and if it retains a ball-like shape, it's done cooking. Like this:


How did I help? I got the bowl. And I put the water in it. Sometimes just being there is what's important. Right? Who else is here? Not Adam & Josh -- they were out shopping. But the dogs are here. You remember the dogs. Let's go look for them.


There's Emma, looking like she was shot (as if there was a bullet sharp enough to pierce the protective layers of blubber under her mottled coat). The heat pulsing off (and out of) her body helps keep the thermostat down. This is her contribution. Thanks, Emma. No, don't get up...


Hey, call Ripley's, it's the Loch Ness Monster. More like "Lacks Sense" Monster. Or "Looks Nuts" Monster. Or "Licks Notch" Monster. And it looks like Sluggo killed Mr. Bill again. Oh, nooo!

Looks like Christmas. Smells like Christmas. And it's starting to really feel like Christmas. Imagine still getting that Christmas feeling at the ripe age of 42! Watching Christmas specials helps. I had on "Simple Gifts" earlier. My old pal (yeah, old like me) sent me a DVD of nostalgic TV rarities from the 60s and 70s. Moss Hart's recollections warmed my heart. Do the kids know who Moss Hart is? Do they even know what a DVD is anymore?

Erin's gonna dip those caramels in chocolate once they cool. A couple of you will probably get to sample them (how quaint to have a small audience). And now she's melting white chocolate for some other confectionery delight. More desserts means more coffee. I'm always wired during the holidays.


Hope you get your share of Christmas cookies and candies (or milk chocolate gelt and dreidels). Or both, if you've got a non-discriminatory sweet tooth like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment